Job Opening: Development Coordinator Released 11.23.2021
Green Umbrella is seeking a Development Coordinator to develop and implement its first comprehensive strategy to increase revenue from individual donors and businesses. They will work collaboratively with GU’s operations, events, membership, and communications staff to provide the shared services that enable the organization to execute its programs. This is an opportunity for a passionate, motivated individual to launch an established organization to its next level of impact through the cultivation of contributed support from the community. The position is located in Cincinnati, Ohio, working out of Green Umbrella’s offices (central).
About Green Umbrella: Green Umbrella leads collaboration, incubates ideas, and catalyzes solutions that create a resilient, sustainable region for all. We envision a vibrant community where sustainability is woven into our ways of life. Our systems-level work has the goal of improving the health of our region's people, climate, and landscape. We do this by convening cross-sector collaborations that work to affect policy, systems, and environment change.
The Development Coordinator will report to Green Umbrella’s incoming Operations Director. They will work closely with the executive director and program directors to understand programmatic needs, design and execute a fundraising strategy. There may be some grant writing and coordination of grant submissions, but this role is primarily focused on direct donor development, both from individuals and businesses (as sponsors or donors).
To be successful in this role, we believe the ideal candidate will have the following characteristics and experience.
- Can develop and execute a strong donor development strategy.
- At least 5 years of proven experience in non-profit fundraising, sponsor solicitation; able to cultivate, solicit, and steward annual giving prospects.
- Capable of coaching colleagues on how to develop relationships with current and potential donors and report on the impact of their giving.
- Excellent at prioritizing a variety of tasks and managing time.
- Humble (in it for others/mission), hungry (strong work ethic, always ready to contribute), and smart (understand people and how to interact with them).
- Commitment to the mission and values of Green Umbrella and passionate about the issues we work on.
- Organized and willing to become a master at Asana project management.
- Pragmatic optimist
- Proficient at using fundraising software, including analyzing data to guide decision making.
- Great at building relationships and trust, can maintain confidentiality.
- Skilled at preparing financial and written reports and operational procedures.
- Advise on CRM platform selection and lead adoption/data migration (currently use Wild Apricot for membership, events, website, calendar, some donor records).
- Research, build, and maintain prospect and donor profile records in an online donor and email database, use it strategically to segment lists and target solicitations.
- Research, prospect and get to know potential large donors and corporate giving partners, participate in solicitation meetings with ED and/or program directors.
- Track and execute donor recognition requirements, thank yous, and gift acknowledgments.
- Help Green Umbrella develop a donor cultivation and appreciation process that serves our unique organization and execute on it.
- Establish a framework for a planned giving program.
- Serve as a staff liaison to the Membership & Development Committee of the GU Board, soliciting their assistance in thanking donors and connecting with potential donors.
- Collaborate with communications coordinator and program staff on donor appeals, impact reports and Annual Report.
- Represent Green Umbrella and its initiatives at events as needed.
- Provide training to staff, interns, and volunteers on development related platforms, practices, strategies.
- Develop, improve and document procedures and processes related to development.
- Support grant writing, grant database management, and grant calendar as needed.
- Create and execute all aspects of annual giving campaigns such as direct mailings, appeal letters, email solicitations, annual thank you postcard, annual report content, and other correspondence (with support of communications staff). Responsibilities include writing, managing supplies, printing or production, first-class or bulk mailing, creating segmented donor lists, exporting donor information, and managing volunteers.
- Solicit sponsorships (program and event) from businesses and other organizations.
Salary & Benefits
- Annual salary of $50,000 to $60,000, commensurate with experience
- Thirteen paid holidays annually
- Accrual of twelve vacation days in the first year of employment (increases with tenure at the organization)
- Accrual of ten sick days annually
- Flex-time policy for overtime hours, flexible work schedule
- Health Insurance: 100% of health insurance premium cost for full-time employees is covered (no waiting period), 25% of spouse/family health insurance is covered
- Parental Bonding Leave (after 1 year of employment) of up to 4 weeks PTO
Submit (as one PDF attachment) a cover letter, resume and sample donor communication you created (describe role you played if collaborative) by 9:00 am on Monday, December 20, 2021, to email@example.com. Address cover letter to Operations Director. No phone calls, please. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. The hiring timeline will be determined by the incoming Operations Director. Start date is expected to be February 2022. This position is subject to a background and credit check.
GREEN UMBRELLA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND VALUES DIVERSITY AT ALL LEVELS OF ITS WORKFORCE. We are committed to making sure our applicant pool is diverse and reserve the right to extend the application period or seek additional candidates if it is not.