Job Opening: Communications Coordinator Released 11.10.2021
Green Umbrella is seeking a Communications Coordinator to work collaboratively with our events, membership and development team that provides the shared services that enable the organization to execute its programs. This newly focused role will help expand Green Umbrella’s capacity to share the activities of all its programs with stakeholders and the community.
About Green Umbrella: Green Umbrella leads collaboration, incubates ideas and catalyzes solutions that create a resilient, sustainable region for all. We envision a vibrant community where sustainability is woven into our ways of life. Our systems-level work improves the health of our region's people, climate and landscape. We do this by convening cross-sector collaborations that work to effect policy, systems and environment change.
The Communications Coordinator will report to the Operations Director. They will work closely with Green Umbrella’s Program, Development, Events and Member Relations staff to understand their needs for communications support and convey their story to target audiences.
In order to be successful in this role, we believe the ideal candidate will have the following characteristics and experience.
- Can develop and execute a strong communications strategy, including digital marketing
- Capable of coaching a story out of colleagues, translating their complex work into stories that people connect with
- Excellent at prioritizing a variety of tasks and managing time
- Humble (in it for others/mission), hungry (strong work ethic, always ready to contribute) and smart (understand people and how to interact with them)
- Commitment to mission and values of Green Umbrella
- Organized and willing to become a master at Asana project management
- Pragmatic optimist
- Collect and tell Green Umbrella’s stories across all program areas
- Plan and implement the GU communications strategy across all media platforms: website, email, and social media channels, email newsletters, emails for events, fundraising, etc.
- Track communications metrics
- Serve as a staff liaison to the Communications Committee, soliciting their expertise in advancing GU’s communications goals
- Enhance & maintain brand identity, increase brand recognition
- Manage media relations, including press releases, opinion pieces, media sponsorships, advertising
- Maintain contact database, including potential CRM transition and upgrade
- Lead preparation of Annual Report
- Graphic design skills to create banners, visual content for social media, print pieces, event invitations, designed reports, etc. are a plus. Alternatively, will supervise intern/contractor for design work.
- Hire and Supervise a communications and/or graphic design intern, who will support the tasks above (~15-20 hours/week)
- Represent Green Umbrella and its initiatives at events as needed
- Provide training to new staff, interns, and volunteers on communications related platforms, practices, strategies
- Develop, improve and document procedures and processes related to communications activities.
Salary & Benefits
- Annual salary of $40,000 to $55,000, commensurate with experience
- Thirteen paid holidays annually
- Accrual of twelve vacation days in first year of employment (increases with tenure at organization)
- Accrual of ten sick days annually
- Flex-time policy for overtime hours, flexible work schedule
- Health Insurance: 100% of health insurance premium cost for full-time employees is covered (no wait period), 25% of spouse/family health insurance is covered
- Parental Bonding Leave (after 1 year of employment) of up to 4 weeks PTO
Submit (as one PDF attachment) a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two professional references by 9:00 am on Thursday, December 9, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Address cover letter to Operations Director. No phone calls please. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. The hiring timeline will be determined by the incoming Operations Director. Start date is expected to be January-February 2022.
GREEN UMBRELLA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND VALUES DIVERSITY AT ALL LEVELS OF ITS WORKFORCE. We are committed to making sure our applicant pool is diverse and reserve the right to extend the application period or seek additional candidates if it is not.