Crayons to Computers is looking for a Controller who is excited to work to level the playing field in the classroom by ensuring that teachers can provide their students in need the tools to succeed in school!
Crayons is a spirited team that believes in having fun and making a difference in our community and region. We are building a culture that values each employee’s unique strengths and is welcoming and inclusive for all. We’ve embarked on an exciting new strategic plan that will guide us through the next three years and beyond. Come be part of making a difference for teachers and their students in need!
The Controller directs Crayons to Computers’ financial affairs, including the preparation of financial analysis, income and expense reports, budgets and financial forecasts, and grant reporting. The Controller arranges and is liaison for the outside audit, provides inputs to Form 990 preparation, manages transactional human resources activities, and basic information technology functions. This role includes occasional early evening and weekend hours.
This full-time position reports to the President and CEO and works collaboratively with members of the Leadership Team.
- Prepare regular financial reports, performing monthly reconciliations; managing payables, receivables and deposits; and performing fund accounting.
- Develop the annual budget.
- Create periodic forecasts, including cash flow projections.
- Process payroll.
- Monitor necessary insurance coverages, including property, general liability, D&O, vehicle, riders for events, etc.
- Coordinate annual audit with outside audit firm, including preparation of all reports, collaboration with Assistant Director of Operations on inventory physical count verification, and serving as point of contact for auditors.
- Prepare inputs for draft Form 990 and review with outside firm and Finance Committee.
- Facilitate stock transfers with donors and/or their brokers.
- Coordinate with Development staff for prompt and accurate gift acknowledgement.
- Generate financial detail necessary for grant applications and grant reports.
- Ensure monthly reconciliation of QuickBooks to donor database.
- Provide staff support for hiring processes, onboard new employees, and maintain employee personnel files.
- Regularly negotiate for health, dental, and vision insurance and determine employee contributions.
- Manage employee benefits enrollment and participation as well as 403(b) enrollment and contributions.
- Manage Paid Time Off.
- Initiate regular performance review process.
- Identify opportunities for professional development and employee training.
- Oversee handling of employee discipline and performance issues.
- Serve as primary point of contact for employee concerns/issues.
- Serve as point of contact for outside Help Desk and IT consultant who:
- Ensures overall system and data security
- Oversees equipment usage, maintenance, and purchase
- Provides training for staff on technology
- Troubleshoot basic IT issues.
- Serve as administrator and trainer for Office 365.
- Coordinate core product purchasing with Assistant Director of Operations.
- Collaborate with Assistant Director of Operations regarding inventory valuation as an input to audit preparation.
Other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s Degree in accounting and 5-7 years’ related work experience is required. Experience in managing a nonprofit’s financial systems is preferred but not required. The ideal candidate:
- Possesses a passion for Crayons’ mission and holds a belief that education is key to breaking the cycle of poverty.
- Maintains attention to detail and accuracy
- Multi-tasks with ease amidst changing priorities
- Is skilled at time management for productivity
- Is a strong problem-solver
- Is self-motivated and does not require close supervision
- Possesses strong oral and written communication skills
- Is a team-player and collaborator
- Is skilled at customer service
- Has experience working with automated payroll processing systems, computerized general ledger, and accounting systems. QuickBooks/QuickBooks Online familiarity required.
- Is proficient with Microsoft Office 365
- Has reliable transportation to and from work
- Successfully completes a background check and drug test
- Has a valid driver’s license, some comfort driving a cargo van and 16 ft. box truck and meets our insurance requirements.
Salary and Benefits: $75,000 - $80,000, depending on experience. Crayons to Computers provides health insurance (dental, vision, and supplemental insurance are available); retirement benefit match, and generous paid time off.
Crayons to Computers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Cover letter (explaining interest and unique fit for the role) and resume due by Monday, November 28.
Send to email@example.com.