This job is archived
St. Vincent de Paul - Cincinnati CEO
- Are you looking to grow your faith through meaningful work?
- Do you embrace being the face of an organization with neighbors, volunteers, staff, community partners, donors, and public officials?
- Are you a natural relationship-builder and a willing fundraiser?
- Do you welcome the challenge of leading a complex organization in a dynamic, changing landscape?
- This is a mission-driven leadership role for a well-established, financially solid, highly reputable community resource looking to its next phase of growth and impact.
St. Vincent de Paul - Cincinnati (SVDP) is hiring a CEO to lead the organization to fulfill its mission and ensure continued growth and community engagement. (www.svdpcincinnati.org)
ABOUT ST. VINCENT DE PAUL - CINCINNATI:
For more than 150 years, St. Vincent de Paul – Cincinnati has compassionately cared for neighbors in need throughout Cincinnati and Hamilton County. More than 1,100 neighborhood-based volunteers, working through one of SVDP’s parish-based Conferences, provide personal, emergency assistance for needs such as food, clothing, rent and utilities, prescription medications and much more. SVDP’s services, including the Deaconess Health Check / Charitable Pharmacy and the Becky & Ted Catino Choice Food Pantry, are based in the Don & Phyllis Neyer Outreach Center, in the West End neighborhood of Cincinnati.
SVDP also operates eight thrift stores in the Cincinnati region that serve as both a form of service, providing clothing and furniture at no cost to neighbors in need, as well as the organization’s social enterprise, generating support to help provide programs and services. The heart of SVDP’s mission is to bridge the spiritual, emotional, and material gaps in peoples’ lives and to serve with dignity and respect. SVDP is one of hundreds of St. Vincent de Paul District Councils serving throughout the United States.
OUR MISSION: A network of neighbors, inspired by Gospel values, growing in holiness, and building a more just world through personal relationships with and service to people in need.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
The CEO will provide overall leadership in the planning, design, implementation, and evaluation of all program components of SVDP. The CEO will represent the organization with diverse stakeholders and provide sound financial and organizational management. The CEO will lead a talented and passionate leadership team, a total staff of over 400 associates, and an annual budget of nearly $50 million.
The CEO is appointed by the Board of Directors, with overall responsibility to the SVDP Board of Directors and secondary responsibility to the SVDP Charitable Pharmacy Board. The CEO reports to the President of the SVDP Board.
Organization leadership, goal setting, and evaluation:
- Provide spiritual leadership and lead with compassion
- Direct and guide strategic planning process and implementation
- Ensure SVDP and its programs conform to internal and external performance standards and regulatory requirements
- Cultivate Board engagement and lead recruitment process of new Board members as the opportunities arise
- Provide vision, motivation and leadership to employees and volunteers
- Recruit, empower and evaluate a seven-person management team, using coaching and mentoring techniques; encourage and support developmental opportunities
- Create succession plans to provide continuity of leadership
Fundraising and financial management:
- Set goals, approve plans, and follow up and support the efforts of the External Relations team
- Develop and maintain relationships with key donors
- Oversee budgeting process and manage financial results accordingly
- Provide strategic oversight of a multi-faceted revenue stream, including social enterprise
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the members of the Board of Directors, volunteers, and staff. Assure adequate flow of information in all directions so that each group is well informed and well heard
- Work with staff to plan and coordinate public relations programs to enhance public perception of SVDP
- Represent SVDP in the community through speaking opportunities and presentations
Advocacy and collaboration:
- Act as an advocate for unrepresented neighbors
- Participate in key meetings/events in the community concerned with issues of the vulnerable populations
- Collaborate and partner with community agencies to further the mission and impact of SVDP
THE KEY REQUIREMENTS:
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to the mission of SVDP
- Must be a practicing Catholic
- Experience being the face of an organization with a diverse set of stakeholders
- Proven success managing and developing a senior team and providing day-to-day leadership
- Robust network in the Greater Cincinnati community or proven ability to develop such a network
- Demonstrated success leading a meaningful fundraising initiative
- Solid financial acumen with previous P&L responsibility for a similar-sized or larger organization
- Experience in creation and implementation of human resource policies and procedures
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, including a proven ability to engage and inspire a wide range of stakeholders, both internally and externally
- Embraces diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and has demonstrated the ability to create an inclusive culture
- Experience working with Boards and engaging volunteers and donors to support a mission-driven organization
- Has led or been an active participant in a robust strategic planning process
- Familiarity with social services/service to vulnerable populations preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA or a related field preferred
- Five (5) or more years of successful experience in executive management and leadership within the private, public, or nonprofit sectors, demonstrating progressively greater responsibility
- A charismatic, inspiring relationship-builder
- Equally comfortable in spiritual, financial, and social services conversations
- Confident, decisive, natural leader and unifier
- Comfortable engaging with multiple constituencies, including neighbors, volunteers, donors, community leaders, church leaders, elected officials, and the media
- Visionary with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Empathetic and passionate, with a heart for the mission; sees this work as a calling
- Embraces a diverse and inclusive culture
- Visible leader throughout the organization
- Can manage conflict and navigate challenging conversations
- Exhibits personal accountability and transparency
- High integrity and work ethic; available occasional evenings and weekends
- Strategic thinker with the ability to execute
- Motivates and empowers staff; is not a micro-manager
- Exceptional communicator and listener
- Brings joy to work every day and celebrates success!
- See the impact of your efforts every day in the lives of neighbors
- Lead an experienced, passionate management team
- Collaborate with an engaged and supportive Board and a dedicated volunteer base
- Every day is unique with a wide variety of work/experiences
- Grow your faith through your daily work