FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Association Services
Reports to: President & CEO
Revision Date: 3/7/2022
Starting Salary: $90,000 (commensurate with experience)
Under the direction of the President & CEO and in accordance with the Christian mission and purpose of the Great Miami Valley (GMV) YMCA Association, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is responsible for overseeing all financial matters, investments and information systems. The CFO also provides strategic direction and leadership for YMCA business operations and initiatives of the Association. The CFO also recommends related policies and ensures their implementation.
GREAT MIAMI VALLEY YMCA ASSOCIATION SUMMARY:
The Great Miami Valley YMCA is known as a Mission-Driven, Values Based organization. Our staff are expected to be knowledgeable of and devoted to the Y’s Mission, Purpose (Strengthening the Foundations of Community), Values (Faith, Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility), and Personality (Welcoming, Nurturing, Genuine, Hopeful, Determined). We pride ourselves in being a supportive, learning, and fun environment with
The CFO will bring a balance of servant leadership and strong management/compliance acumen; balancing strong relationships with managing expectations that reflect strong and effective financial and fiduciary performance by the staff and Board of Directors.
1. Serves as a liaison to the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees. Assists the President & CEO to respond to financial matters and inquiries requested by the Board of Trustees and Executive Committee, as needed.
2. Develops, revises, and maintains the necessary systems for financial accounting, record keeping, reporting and compliance with regard to the legal, tax, and audit requirements.
3. Directs the capital and operating budget processes.
4. Works with staff and volunteers in the development, approval and implementation of budgets. Translates operational plans into financial plans. Monitor actual results against budget on a monthly basis and prepares applicable reports as necessary. Forecasts Association and branch financial needs and performance.
5. Supervises accounting and finance personnel and procedures, maintaining control over receipts, disbursements, and business operations, preparation of monthly and annual financial statements and tax returns.
6. Oversees all financing within the Association, including leases, bonds, lines of credit, band debt and related relationships.
7. Serves as Association representative to the Finance Committee, the Audit Committee and serves with the President & CEO on the Investment Committee. Supports and/or represents the Association lay treasurer at all Board of Trustee and Executive Committee meetings. Serves on Executive Leadership Team and other ad hoc staff/volunteers committees as needed.
8. Oversees the management of the Workers’ Compensation claims and group-retrospective rating plan. Oversees the financial matters related to grant compliance.
9. Participate in the development of risk management policies, procedures, and implementation.
10. Assists with record keeping and collection process for capital campaigns and deferred gift efforts (endowment funds), review proposals to United Way, foundations and for local/state/federal grants. Responsible for special projects reports as needed.
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree in in accounting, business administration, finance, or related field; Certified Public Accountant (CPA) License or Master’s Degree in Business Administration or equivalent practical experience.
2. Experience: Five years professional experience in a similar environment and an understanding of and commitment to the YMCA mission.
3. Knowledge and experience in all aspects of operations including staff supervision and development, membership practices, program development and implementation, volunteerism, facility and property management and financial practices.
4. Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
5. Ability to communicate orally, present information and respond to questions from groups of staff, volunteers, members, and the general public.
6. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret mathematical graphical presentations.
7. Ability to demonstrate advanced computer proficiency, creation and use of Excel spreadsheets, familiarity with data base use and management and accounting/budgeting software.
8. Oversees the development of the annual operating budget, including all branch budgets. Works closely with operations staff to ensure that branch budgets are well-planned, realistic, and prepared in a timely manner.
9. Must understand the nature and purpose of the YMCA and the respective roles of volunteers and staff.
10. Demonstrated ability to supervise the work of others.
11. Proven success with a track record of creating, skillfully leading, organizing, and overseeing staff and volunteers of high intelligence with diverse personalities. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.