POSITION TITLE: Vice President of Human Resources
- Do you have the passion for and commitment to the mission of Cincinnati Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CABVI)?
- Are you an innovative and transformational HR leader who has a track record of success leading an organization through cultural change?
- Do you embrace diversity and help create an inclusive and equitable workplace?
Established in 1911, CABVI provides counseling, rehabilitation, information, and employment services to people who are blind, visually impaired, or print impaired in the Greater Cincinnati area. Initially, CABVI employed men who made brooms and mops. In the 1960s, CABVI initiated several rehabilitation services, including low vision, rehabilitation teaching, orientation and mobility, and social services. In the 1980s, computer access and early childhood intervention services were established. In August 2017, CAVBI opened the Hornbeck Social Enterprise Center which increased CABVI’s operation significantly.
Today, CABVI is a comprehensive multi-service vision rehabilitation organization with a $28M budget. CABVI is located in Cincinnati with additional locations in Dayton, and Quantico, VA. With a team of 170+ sighted and visually impaired, union, and non-union employees, CABVI serves and assists over 5000 persons who are blind or visually impaired.
The newly created Vice President of Human Resources position reports to the CEO and will play a key role on the executive leadership team. Leading a team of three, the VP of HR will provide executive level leadership, HR strategy and guidance to CABVI’s HR operations. The successful candidate will set the tone for the HR department and provide guidance and leadership for employee relations, payroll, compliance, benefits and all other areas of impact. They will manage internal communication and partner with the President/CEO on climate and culture initiatives.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work in partnership with the President/CEO, the board of directors and the leadership team to establish the strategic direction of the agency while achieving goals and objectives by utilizing established measures, metrics, and associated data. Define and implement key performance indicators and strategic objectives for the department and, as appropriate, the entire organization. Analyzes operations to ensure HR strategy and organization structure is aligned with the strategic plan.
- In collaboration with the leadership team and the HR department, develop, implement, operate, maintain, and control the human resources function of the company. This includes policies and procedures, recruitment and retention efforts, salary and benefits administration, performance evaluation, employee relations, labor relations and safety.
- Act in partnership with the President/CEO and leadership team on implementation and structure of culture change efforts. Lead internal communication efforts focused on transparent and current information with the intent on creating an engaged workforce.
- Engage management to enhance team performance and organizational equity.
- Define and manage employee performance management processes including training and development programs, annual evaluations, and performance improvement.
- Explore and recommend employee engagement practices, rewards, and recognition programs.
- Manage and recommend compensation structures and strategies.
- Effectively works with legal counsel as needed on issues of interpretation of collective bargaining agreement to ensure compliance by agency management. Effectively negotiates collective bargaining agreements to align with CABVI’s goals, finances, and business operations.
- Oversee creation and implementation of agency DE&I initiatives; serve as leadership liaison to employee DE&I committee. Support and develop a culture that values diversity and inclusion throughout the organization. Coordinate periodic employee surveys to assess climate and culture initiatives.
- Review, revise, and create employee policies and procedures and ensure consistent and equitable implementation and application throughout organization.
- Ensure organization-wide compliance to federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations.
- Work collaboratively with Finance department on payroll-related matters and employee benefits (e.g., health, dental, retirement, etc.)
- Serve as staff liaison to Strategic Plan Planning Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Recruit, hire, train, evaluate, and coach HR staff. Monitor staff performance and provide consistent feedback.
IDEAL CANDIDATES’ QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The successful candidate will be an innovative, strategic thinker with proven leadership, communications, and relationship-building skills. They will be deeply committed to the mission of CABVI and provide support and guidance for the goal of empowering people who are blind or visually impaired with opportunities to seek independence.
- A bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field is required, with a preference for an advanced degree.
- 7+ years of progressive HR experience, including leadership, business partner, and generalist experience (SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP preferred)
- A track record of contributing to the strategic direction of an organization
- Experience working in a complex organization, with multiple funding streams, legal entities, and compliance requirements
- A demonstrated commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. Experience working on or leading an inclusive workforce management strategy for the organization.
- Recruiting experience for a variety of roles within an organization
- Knowledge regarding AbilityOne requirements, e.g., direct labor ratios, SCA (Services Contract Act) compliance preferred
- Experience supporting and collaborating with a nonprofit board a plus
- Advanced ability to communicate to a wide range of stakeholders, including presentation and facilitation skills, and to translate financial information into understandable terms
- Ability to maintain a high level of diplomacy, confidentiality, and to properly manage sensitive information
- A positive attitude and sense of humor a must
We are committed to attracting and recruiting a diverse pool of candidates, including those who are blind or visually impaired.
OTHER: Relocation assistance will be provided.