MERCY SERVES AMERICORPS MEMBER
Bon Secours Mercy Health
Ohio has ranked first nationwide in opioid death since 2014. Mercy Health is committed to lead the charge to change that statistic. Mercy Health and AmeriCorps have partnered to build MERCY SERVES, a diverse, energetic, volunteer corps serving in Mercy Health Emergency Departments across the state of Ohio to prevent and reduce substance and opioid use. As a part of the broader opioid epidemic response, AmeriCorps members provide patient education, substance use risk screening, emotional support, and referrals to treatment and social services for Emergency Department patients. AmeriCorps members work alongside nurses, providers, and social workers to ensure that patients receive necessary support and resources to make healthy choices and encourage behavior change.
MERCY SERVES IS RECRUITING A CLASS OF 11 AMERICORPS MEMBERS TO SERVE A FULL-TIME, 11-MONTH SERVICE TERM IN 5 MERCY HEALTH EMERGENCY DEPARTMENTS IN CINCINNATI AND TOLEDO.
THE MERCY SERVES AMERICORPS MEMBER WILL:
- Provide patient education about addiction and substance use to address stigma
- Deliver screening, early intervention, and referral to treatment for patients at risk of substance use disorder utilizing the SBIRT (Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment) model
- Provide linkages to healthcare and social service resources
- Follow up with patients to continue providing support and treatment access after discharge
- Collect data from patient encounters; maintain appropriate, accurate databases necessary for reporting and compliance activities; and provide pertinent reporting as needed
- Participate in mandatory Mercy Serves team meetings and learning opportunities, including biannual retreats, that contribute to personal development as well as growth of the Mercy Serves program.
- Participate in mandatory AmeriCorps meetings and conferences to share member experience and program successes
- Maintain comprehensive and accurate documentation of AmeriCorps service experience including number of hours served, trainings received, etc.
- Maintain internal and external contacts, including community-based organizations, to support diverse patient needs
- Represent the service-oriented aspects of the Mercy Health ministry, Community Health team, and Mercy Serves AmeriCorps program
- Other duties as assigned, including specialized projects based on site needs and community outreach activities
As an AmeriCorps program, this is a TEMPORARY, 11-MONTH SERVICE PROGRAM. Compensation is paid in the form of a bi-weekly living stipend, health benefits, and professional development training/opportunities. Member is eligible to receive education award upon completion of all service requirements.
Required Minimum Education: High School Diploma/GED with additional career experience
Preferred Education: 4 year/Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field (Public Health, Psychology, Sociology, Pre-Med, or similar); Community Health Worker certificate
MINIMUM TYPES OF EXPERIENCE
- Measurable achievement in an academic, volunteer, extracurricular, or professional setting
- Proven interpersonal skills working with a diverse population and/or in sensitive situations
- Adaptability in a challenging environment
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, professionalism, critical thinking, and stress management skills
- Experience with data collection and database management
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality and HIPAA compliance
- Experience working in team environments and on collaborative projects
- Interest in careers in healthcare, population and community health, addiction and mental health services, and/or social justice
There are multiple positions available at the following locations:
- Mercy Health West Hospital (Cincinnati, OH)
- Mercy Health Clermont Hospital (Batavia, OH)
- Mercy Health Anderson Hospital (Anderson/Cincinnati, OH)
- Mercy Health Fairfield Hospital (Fairfield, OH)
- Mercy Health St. Charles Hospital (Toledo, OH)
Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.
Many of our opportunities reward* your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- Employer contributions to retirement savings plan when eligible
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
*Benefits offerings vary according to employment status
SCHEDULED WEEKLY HOURS:40
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, please email email@example.com. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
By applying you agree to our Terms of Service