POSITION TITLE: Vice President of Development & Communications
- Are you a successful development professional looking for a new challenge?
- Are you energized by the prospect of providing affordable housing for low-income, first-time homebuyers?
- Do you enjoy developing and mentoring a passionate and talented development team?
- Would you like to leverage a recent gift of $7.5 million to be transformational and catalytic?
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Cincinnati (HFHGC) is a non-profit Christian housing ministry that seeks to eliminate substandard housing locally and globally by building and renovating decent, affordable homes to sell to low-income first-time homebuyers.
Since 1986, Habitat for Humanity of Greater Cincinnati (HFHGC) has built, renovated, or repaired more than 680 homes throughout a 9-county, 3-state region and is one of the top 40 affiliates in the United States They have also supported the building of 1000+ homes globally in Cambodia, El Salvador, Kenya, and Nepal. HFHGC has 90 employees, operates on a $ 9 million annual budget, and was recently awarded a $7.5 million gift from philanthropist MacKenzie Scott.
At HFHGC, the vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live. They build and rehab houses for first-time homebuyers, provide critical repairs for low-income homeowners, create community through volunteer service, and advocate for affordable housing. HFHGC also operates five ReStore retail locations, open to the public, which provide important revenue for the mission and an outlet for donated household and building materials.
HFHGC has also established a strong partnership with Habitat for Humanity International, including leadership in Habitat’s new collaborative fundraising model. This opens doors to networking, continuing education, and fundraising opportunities including generous program grants, collaborative direct mail, and major gifts programs.
Habitat is seeking a talented and experienced development professional to lead the development team and report to the Chief Executive Officer. Other members of the team include the Senior Philanthropy Officer, Development Officer, Development Operations Coordinator, Communications and Marketing Officer, and Community Outreach Coordinator. The current year’s fundraising target is $3 million with the goal of increasing it by 10% each year.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- Actively work with the CEO to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include individuals, faith partners, corporations, foundations, government grants, annual campaign, and special events
- Support and partner with Board members to engage them in key fundraising initiatives
- Contribute as a critical member of the Executive Leadership team to advance the mission of the organization
- Lead in the ongoing development and implementation of the Collaborative Fundraising Model with Habitat for Humanity International as it relates to an existing collaborative direct mail program and pipeline building for new major gifts
- Develop and manage departmental budget
- Manage, support, and develop a strong team of development and marketing professionals
- Collaborate with the CEO, leadership team and Board to best leverage the recent $7.5 million gift from MacKenzie Scott
- Serve as an ambassador of the organization to donors by attending events and cultivation meetings and building relationships with community leaders and key stakeholders
- Share the community need for Habitat and impact the organization and partner families make with key stakeholders and the broader community
- Bring a keen sense of operational efficiency, combined with considerable experience managing prospect discovery and pipeline development
- Ensure dynamic processes in all phases of donor qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Oversee development and execution of all grant proposals and reporting
- Oversee development and execution (in collaboration with Habitat for Humanity International) of all marketing strategies including direct mail, web communications, social media posts, and press and media releases
- Oversee the management of donor databases and all records, files, and donor processing
- Monitor trends in the community and sector to adapt fundraising strategies as necessary and position HFHGC ahead of major funding changes
- Maintain and grow professional fundraising networks and build relationships with development professionals within the Habitat affiliate network
- Lead future comprehensive campaigns for buildings, expansions, or other initiatives
- Monitor all donor information and activity; provide and regularly present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders
- Lead new revenue initiatives for the organization, including planned giving
- In partnership with Finance, ensure the financial integrity of fundraising results and donor intention
- Demonstrated commitment to the HFHGC mission
- Minimum 7+ years of professional development experience in a nonprofit organization
- Demonstrated success in managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources and securing major gifts
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead a team to achieve fundraising objectives
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work creatively and independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside HFHGC
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with HFHGC staff, Board, and volunteers in the spirit of teamwork and mutual respect
- Ability to construct, articulate and implement an annual strategic development plan that incorporates innovation in the fundraising sector
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including some evenings and weekends
- Eager to participate as an active and visible member of the HFHGC community at events and presentations
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications and social media technology
- High energy and passion with an ability to motivate and energize others
- See your efforts have a positive impact on a major local and international organization and change the lives of area families, communities, and neighborhoods
- Lead a dedicated, talented, and passionate team
- Help address the community-wide need for affordable housing
- Capitalize on a transformational $7.5 million gift to position HFHGC for greater impact
- Join a team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion