GENERAL FUNCTION: Overall management responsibilities for the federal, state and local function for Fifth Third Bancorp & related entities. This includes federal and state income and franchise tax reporting. A very visible people-leader role with endless project possibilities!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages and directs the preparation of the federal and state tax returns of Fifth Third Bancorp and related entities including quarterly estimated tax payments.
- Manages and reviews the tax return preparation.
- Reads, comprehends and interprets tax laws and regulations required to produce accurate federal, state and local tax returns.
- Maintains adequate documentation to substantiate deductions taken, income claimed and basis for tax treatment or special items.
- Manages the computation of quarterly estimated tax payments.
- Manages the accounting for income taxes for various members of Fifth Third Bancorp and subsidiaries.
- Manages accounting for tax expenses as well as tax payable, deferred income taxes, and analysis of contingency items.
- Overall responsibility for inter-company tax allocations.
- Oversees the booking of tax accounting entries and the tax "cleanup" entry.
- Integrates the tax accounting records of acquired entities into the appropriate records.
- Tax Research and Planning.
- Manages research of corporate tax issues of law raised during the preparation of the federal and state returns.
- Manages tax planning projects as needed.
- Generates meaningful tax savings recommendations.
- Manages Department Resources and Budget.
- Manages the staffing, performance plans and salary administration for the department employees.
- Allocates and reviews work, provides training, works with staff to set and achieve objectives, and guides and advises subordinates for individual development.
- Motivates the employees in the area through decisions regarding pay, placement, and promotions.
- Measures the department's employees by establishing performance standards and comparing actual performance against those standards.
Specific Responsibilities as Assigned: Examples of Areas of focus include:
- Managing and reviewing preparation of the analysis of receipts, property and payroll for state income and franchise tax compliance.
- Managing tax department integration of acquisitions including outsourcing of final tax returns of final returns for the acquired entity.
- Maintaining quarterly calculations of the Alternative Minimum Tax liability as needed.
- Responsible for analyzing and recording the tax effect of purchase method accounting as it relates to acquisitions.
- Establish and Maintain Work Relationships with Line of Business and Finance Personnel to:
- Explain tax consequences of business decisions
- Promote business developments
- Obtain information about new initiatives of tax consequences.
Responsible for providing employees timely, candid and constructive performance feedback; developing employees to their fullest potential and provide challenging opportunities that enhance employee career growth; developing the appropriate talent pool to ensure adequate bench strength and succession planning; recognizing and rewarding employees for accomplishments.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance.
- CPA or MBA required.
- Minimum of 10 years corporate tax experience required.
- Knowledge of Financial Institution taxation issues.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- Understanding of tax return preparation software required (preferably CorpTax).
- Effective group presentation skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.