The Regional Income Tax Agency (RITA) has a great career opportunity, to join our team as Chief of Tax Operations. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Chief of Tax Operations is a vital member of RITA’s Executive Leadership team, participating in the formation and execution of Agency strategic plans, and ensuring the operations of RITA’s Tax Department are aligned with those strategic plans. We are looking for an accountable individual with strategic vision and the ability to lead high performing teams to join our growing organization.
JOB TITLE: CHIEF OF TAX OPERATIONS
GRADE: GRADE 11 ($140,250 – $189,750 annually)
REPORTS TO: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
LOCATION: BRECKSVILLE (HYBRID)
About the Role: With guidance and affirmation from the Executive Director, the purpose of this position is to develop and oversee the effective and efficient operations of the Taxation Department.
About RITA: The mission of the Regional Income Tax Agency (“RITA”) is to provide Ohio cities and villages with a high quality, cost effective municipal tax collection service. We are guided in our work by our vision to be the best and top choice for municipal tax collection in Ohio.
RITA is an OPERS employer that offers low monthly premiums for health benefits for employees, spouses and dependents with no monthly cost for dental and vision coverage. The Agency makes bi-annual contributions to employees’ Health Savings Accounts. Additional benefits include paid vacation and paid sick leave, including for mental health, along with 3 personal days provided on the anniversary of the employee’s hire date. The initial 3 personal days are provided upon successful completion of the 180-day Introductory Period and then again at the second anniversary and each anniversary thereafter. Employees also have access to an employee assistance program.
Work Environment: You will be assigned to work primarily out of RITA’s Brecksville office, with the opportunity to work a blended schedule, meaning some days in the office, some days working from home. Our dress when in the office is professionally casual – jeans are welcome. We thrive on collaborative work, and we are best as a team with each person doing their part.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Leads, directs and motivates the Agency’s Taxation Department and all assigned management and staff.
- Collaborates with the Executive Leadership team in the formulation of Agency strategic plans, and ensures that the operations of the Taxation Department are aligned with those strategic plans.
- Works with the Executive Leadership Team to ensure the organizational culture is focused on high performance and promotes trust, accountability, transparency and collaboration throughout the Agency.
- Provides leadership, training and coaching to high performing teams in the following divisions: Records Processing, Individual Customer Service, Individual Production, and Business Processing and Business Compliance.
- Sets, monitors and continually updates goals and metrics for the Agency’s Taxation Department.
- Ensures all aspects of the Agency’s Tax operations run smoothly; and regularly analyzes process improvement opportunities with the Taxation Department management team, and implements those process improvements to address issues and ensure the efficient and effective operation of the Taxation Department.
- Conducts or directs research on substantive tax issues; determines and ensures implementation of appropriate related policies and procedures.
- Coordinates Taxation Department programs and operations with RITA Administration, Compliance, Information Services, Member Services and Finance departments.
- Stays abreast of significant federal, state and municipal income tax legislation and court decisions, ensures the Agency’s Taxation Department operations are in line with applicable law, and provides related updates to RITA employees, RITA member municipalities, local and state-wide groups, taxpayers, and tax professionals.
- Represents RITA with local, regional and state-wide tax administration groups, government officials, and legislators, and with local, regional and state-wide tax professionals.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, the Agency reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Physical Requirements: The individual assigned to this position must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job, with or without a reasonable accommodation, which include, but are not limited to the following:
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
- Must be able to physically move about the work environment (Agency office, remote or other) as needed.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as screen monitors, calculator, copy machines and printers.
- Must be able to communicate accurately and effectively, both orally and in writing, with the RITA Executive Team, RITA member municipalities, taxpayers, professional tax preparers and other taxpayer representatives, local, regional and state-wide officials, professional business groups and lobbyists.
- Must be able to travel by car throughout the state of Ohio approximately 10% of the time and to occasionally stay overnight.
About You: The employee must have earned a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, or closely related field, from an accredited college or university. A Certified Public Accountant is strongly preferred. Must possess a minimum of ten years of experience in municipal income tax administration at a managerial level. Previous experience leading management teams is a plus.
The ability to travel as needed is required. Most travel is in-state. On rare occasions travel may involve overnight stays. The person in this position must possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record, have access to reliable transportation and pass the Agency’s insurability standards.
How to Apply: Please submit your resume no later than 5 PM on October 31, 2023. Only qualified individuals being considered will be contacted for an interview.
The Regional Income Tax Agency (Agency) is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals and in which personnel decisions are merit-based and applied without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Agency will seek to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the Agency.