ArtsWave is seeking a Controller to provide accounting and finance support to the organization. Reporting to the Vice President of Finance, the primary responsibilities of this full-time position will be monthly and year-end close, audit and tax return preparation, budget development and management, forecasting and investment tracking. Leading candidates for the position will be goal-oriented and confident professionals with a strong accounting background. Candidates will also pay outstanding attention to detail, have excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, work independently, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Manage the monthly and year-end close, general ledger, cash, investments, pledges receivable, accounts payable, grants payable and payroll functions. Annual operating expenses total $15.7 million. Endowment and board designated endowment portfolio market value totals $117.3 million.
- Ensure maintenance of effective internal controls to assure safeguarding of assets and reliability of financial statements.
- Coordinate the development of annual budgets for all divisions, then monitor, control and forecast via quarterly meetings with the department leads.
- Prepare all audited financial statements and tax returns including supporting documentation and serve as liaison to auditors.
- Maintain the master vendor list, W-9’s and vendor surveys.
- Provide financial reports as requested by funders or for grant applications.
- Participate in a committee of the financial leaders of the arts and culture organizations receiving annual support from ArtsWave.
- Coordinate human resource benefit administration functions including payroll, health and disability insurance, and 401(K) plans and maintain personnel records.
- Help with special projects as needed
- Attend and assist at ArtsWave’s events, including occasional weekends and evenings, as necessary.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervise, develop, challenge and instruct a two-member staff which includes a general ledger accountant and a payroll/accounts payable accountant.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize against stated objectives, and work independently.
- Demonstrated success working collaboratively and cooperatively with peers, across departments, and with other organizations and entities.
- Commitment to the mission, vision, and values of ArtsWave.
- BS in Accounting; CPA or MBA preferred
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years public accounting experience or related nonprofit experience
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Understanding of accounting and data base software applications
- Possess a natural attention to detail
- Management experience and excellent analytical skills
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary range: $75,000 to $85,000, commensurate with experience.
- Hybrid work environment.
- Paid parking.
- 401(k) retirement plan which makes safe harbor matching contributions equal to 116.66% of an employee’s elective deferrals that do not exceed 6% of the employee’s compensation.
- Health, dental, vision, and life insurance available.
- 10 pre-determined paid holidays per calendar year.
- PTO accrual based on years of service.
With the help of tens of thousands of donors, ArtsWave supports more than 100 arts and community organizations that make our region an amazing place to live. We believe that the arts—music, dance, theatre, museums, festivals, and more —create a vibrant regional economy and a more connected community. ArtsWave is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where a variety of backgrounds, cultures, orientations, ideas, and talents can flourish.
ArtsWave is Bronze Level certified with Ellequate. Ellequate-certified employers meet standards of performance and accountability in six key measures of workplace culture, demonstrated by people-first policies, practices, and benefits, as well as employee experience.
Send resume and cover letter in one document to email@example.com. Please use the words "Controller" in the Subject line. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. No calls, please.