Who We Are
Founded in Dayton, Ohio in 2015, Mile Two is an applied innovation company with experience in software development, user experience design, visual design, and cognitive systems engineering. In short, we build better software solutions. From prototypes to production software, our multi-disciplinary teams use a unique user-driven approach to create interfaces that seamlessly connect people to the technology they are using to accomplish their mission. While the majority of our customer base is the DoD, we also help commercial companies ranging from startups to the Fortune 500.
We are a growing team of energetic problem-solvers and technologists. We foster vibrant connections between our team, our community, and our clients. We are driven by our shared set of core values:
We value expertise and trust our employees to do the right thing. We flex to accommodate the best solution regardless of our individual contributions. Our multi-disciplinary process requires us to challenge each other which leads to innovation.
We produce high quality results for our customers. Our unique approach to solving problems allows us to create value we are proud of. We honor the commitments we make to our customers and each other.
Each of us is responsible for the outcomes of our performance and lean on our teams for support and collaboration. We depend on everyone being engaged and pushing towards continuous improvement.
Success is a Team Effort
We actively share our perspectives, while also listening and being open to the perspectives of our teammates. This allows us to generate insights and results that are more than the sum of our individual efforts.
What Our Employees Love About Working at Mile Two
- The opportunity to be part of a rapidly scaling company, surrounded by talented and passionate people who have fun while pushing the boundaries of innovation.
- Flexible schedule & Remote work - We support our team and trust them to make their own decisions on where and when they work best. Our focus is on the results, not where the work gets done.
- Supportive Culture - Doing great work is at the heart of what we do, and we feel strongly that our team members are at their best when they work in an environment that supports their professional AND personal needs.
- We are committed to hiring a diverse team and building an inclusive, equitable culture.
- We seek out projects that allow us to “Do Cool Work with Cool People”. Cool People includes our Mile 2 colleagues, our customers, and external contributors. Cool Work at Mile 2 is:
3. Something we can have a tangible impact on
- Our employees get exposure to a variety of experiences and projects. You will be pushed and challenged to expand your knowledge base in a supportive environment.
- We provide competitive pay and an awesome benefits package with all the coverages you would expect. You pay only 15% of the healthcare premium and we pay for everything else. We offer a multitude of performance bonuses & awards (including a Mile 2 Belt!), 4 weeks of PTO, 11 paid holidays, safe-harbor and profit-sharing 401k contributions, gym/fitness memberships, oodles of training & professional development, tuition reimbursement, paid parental leave, EAP, and even regular chair yoga, stretching, and mindfulness programs!
What You’ll Do
We’re excited to expand our team! We have an immediate opening for a Controller to oversee daily accounting operations; financial reporting; internal controls; compliance with GAAP, FAR, and all applicable regulatory reporting requirements; and tax administration. This is a new position reporting to the CFO, and you will have direct supervision of an Accountant and a Project Controller.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Accurate and timely monthly financial close within 5 business days of month-end
- Compliance with all regulatory reporting requirements & new accounting standards (ASC-606, ASC-842, etc)
- Review & approval of all A/P, Payroll, and G/L transactions
- Review & approval of monthly credit card expense reports
- Review & approval of monthly balance sheet recs
- Monthly & Annual bank reporting requirements
- Monitoring cash flow & 13-week cash projections; Reviewing & approving all bank transactions
- Managing all audits - annual financial, 401(k), workers comp, sales & use tax, and any DCAA audits
- Coordinate annual tax return preparation with CPA firm
- Managing the annual incurred cost submission
- Establishing and maintaining policies & procedures and internal controls in collaboration with CFO
- Adherence to travel & expense policies and regulations
- Ensuring finance team is meeting operational metrics such as DSO, DPO, CCC, etc.
- Managing the implementation of the Purchasing module in Unanet
- Professional development of the Accountant and Project Controller
- Process improvement and automation where needed
- Assisting the CFO and Sr. FP&A Analyst with the annual budgeting and PBRP process
- Employee financial trainings & education as needed (i.e. annual time & expense training, etc)
What You Should Bring to the Table:
- 7+ years progressive experience in a government contracting environment
- 5+ years experience with CPFF contracts
- Bachelor's degree with a major in accounting or equivalent experience
- Solid technical accounting skills and understanding of federal and state regulations, government contracting/DCAA requirements, and US GAAP
- Strong problem solving, analysis, and decision-making skills
- A strong work ethic, attention to detail, and high level of integrity
- Proven ability to collaborate and interact well with employees of all levels, outside vendors, and customers
- Icing on the cake but not required:
- Previous experience with a small business that has rapidly scaled
- Familiarity with Unanet
- Familiarity with R&D contracting, SBIRs, and OTAs
- Experience implementing ERP systems
- CPA or CMA designation